2.5.1. Accumulation, Analysis, and Reporting of Performance Metrics
The following metrics will be used in evaluating the performance of NIF as a user facility:
- Compliance with environment, safety, and health regulations.
- Facility availability for experiments, calculated using data collected during facility operations.
- Experimental effectiveness as measured by completion of user campaigns and feedback from lead investigators.
- User feedback regarding the proposal solicitation and review processes and experiment execution.
- Degree of recognition obtained, including papers published, talks given, and number of meetings and workshops
with NIF and NIF attendees, including those in both technical and leadership roles; degree of student and postdoctoral involvement.
As part of the process of evaluation of NIF as a user facility, NNSA will perform periodic external reviews of the operation of NIF as a user facility, in a manner similar to that of the reviews performed of DOE Office of Science user facilities, usually on a three-year cycle.