Diagnostic Instrument Manipulator-Related Design Considerations
For a new DIM-based snout, instrument assembly, or instrument attachment to be considered for use at NIF, it must meet a number of design, safety, and compatibility criteria.
The designer must demonstrate that:
- The design ts into the space envelope.
- The design shall incorporate features to aid alignment in the Target Chamber.
- The design is accessible from the side access.
- The design can be inserted/removed via the DIM side access ports.
- Removable items such as image plates, film packs, filters, etc. can be reached.
- All required tool access is accommodated.
- Human factors are considered, such as handles, grips, or support areas for handling the hardware during assembly and installation.
- Cleanliness and hazardous materials are adequately considered in the design.